Rakhi Festival gives different meaning to different kind people.
- Rakhi Festival provide Artisans with a chance to design Rakhis of different kinds, embellished with jewels, pearls and gold.
- The Business people, who have made it a commercial venture must be earning lakhs and crores by selling their beautiful products.
- For the Common person, it is a very emotional event in one’s life when brothers eagerly await the arrival of their sisters to tie the Rakhi, and offer them sweets as a token of love.
Raksha Bandhan means the bond of purity and protection. On this auspicious occasion, a sister ties a Rakhi, a decorated thread on the wrist of her brother, applies tilak on his forehead, sweetens his mouth and prays for his longevity. The brother in return pledges to protect the dignity of his sister even at the cost of his life and gives her gifts.
The Legends behind the Festival
There are various legends behind this festival.
- Indrani, wife of Indra, tied a thread given to her by Lord Vishnu, to her husband to protect him during a war with the demons.
- According to another legend, when Yamuna (the river) tied a rakhi to Yama, the lord of death granted her immortality. And so moved he was by the gesture, he is said to have declared that any brother who was tied a rakhi and offered to protect his sister would also become immortal.
- It’s also believed that Rani Karnavati sent a Rakhi to the Mughal emperor Humayun seeking his help as she was attacked by the Sultan of Mewar. Humayun was touched by the emotion-filled Rakhi and marched to protect her kingdom of Chittor.
The True Significance
- This sacred thread of Rakhi which carries many emotions with it, strengthens the relationship between brothers and sisters to a great extent.
- Raksha Bandhan liberate everyone from negativity, peacelessness and violence!
- The legend of Rani Karnavati and emperor Humayun proves that the sacred festival is not limited to Hindus but it is applicable to the whole world and gives the message of unity, nobility and commitment. This festival strengthens the vision of brotherhood amongst all.